12c Database focuses on cloud computing enabling:
- Agility through rapid provisioning and cloning along with capacity on demand
- Security using isolated data containers
- Control using global and local resource management
- Transparency so that applications do not change
- Low cost through efficient use of hardware resources and the ability to manage many as one
12c Database on Exadata
All the new features of Oracle Database 12c are supported on Exadata Database Machine.
Oracle Database 12c running on Exadata Database Machine is subject tothe following restrictions:
• Smart Scan filtering and storage indexes are disabled for version 12.1 databases. Smart Scans are still issued, and the initiation of I/Os is offloaded, but complete blocks are returned instead of just the selected rows and columns. Version 11.2 databases on the same system retain full Smart Scan capabilities.
• I/O Resource Management (IORM) plans for version 12.1 databases are not enforced. Specifically, database resource plans (intradatabase resource plans) set on version 12.1 databases are not enabled on Exadata Storage Servers. Also, an interdatabase plan cannot manage 12.1 databases and an interdatabase plan cannot be used to manage access to flash log or flash cache for a version 12.1 database. Cell metrics for version 12.1 databases are reported under OTHER_DATABASE.
Other Exadata features, such as Smart Flash Cache and Hybrid Columnar Compression, continue to work with version 12.1 databases. (metalink note 1537407.1)